Galactica Actual
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triad Chips!

4 posters

Go down

Triad Chips! Empty Triad Chips!

Post by Indy Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Okay, so I'm think of Tri-ing something with Triad (Ha! Get it?). Don't get me wrong, I was more than happy to drink after every lost hand (more incentive to lose...), but I saw they sell replica copies of Colonial cubits, and thought how much fun it would be to get a set of "chips" for Triad? The "paper" currency is easy enough: Just print them off. But the metal ones are more difficult (perhaps fun) to make.

This area fell to pieces when the steel industry left, and a lot of people are still around who worked on machining parts and such. I'm pretty sure I can find someone who'll be willing to make a mold out of the collector's pieces, and possibly provide me with a set of them, if I could procure the resources for the process. Or maybe even a small die set I could appropriate for at-home use.

I'm not talking a crazy investment here, but if I can throw a few sheets of brass at it and get a good set of them fabricated, it might be something worth doing. Maybe I'll even learn to do it myself. Couldn't be too hard, right?

Thoughts?
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Triad Chips! Empty Re: Triad Chips!

Post by Airborne Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 am

I'm interested, and willing to throw some cash at it to help make it happen.
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:39 am

What Airborne said! I think this sounds like a great idea. I love playing poker, and the betting aspect is just fun (even if I don't win often). I know there's a market for things like this. Any time Anovos or Novo Geek releases something it gets sold out immediately.

Great idea, Indy!
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

And, you know, the more I get to thinking about it, maybe _we_ ought to get into the custom dog-tag business. There's only one game in town that does it and they're pretty expensive. Just something to think about if we have the means.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 am

I'd be in! It would be fun for us to have, but like Eve said, there is definitely a market for it too.
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 am

If we're super-serious about it, the most expensive element to it would be the licensing rights. But once that's done, you just need a set of metal stamps and the right bit of machinery to cut the form out, and BAM. Although, getting a stamp for the Colonial Seal might cost a bit, as well...but then we'd be official and authorized and stuff!

I'll keep looking into it, see what I can come up with.
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am

Indy wrote:Although, getting a stamp for the Colonial Seal might cost a bit, as well...but then we'd be official and authorized and stuff!

Wow, if we could get an official license we could go nuts. I have tons of ideas for t-shirt, mouse pad, etc designs. I'm shite at making the art but from a graphic design standpoint I've got a good eye for what looks good with what.

So now we need an artist. How good is everyone's photoshop skillz?
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 am

I'm no good at photoshop. I think Peter is going to be our resident "shooper", after displaying his talents last night.
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 am

I can Photoshop, I just can't draw a straight line to save my life. Smile
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am

Same here. If I mean to draw a circle, I aim for a line. NO visual art skills whatsoever. I defer to you on this.

To set the record straight, you designed the "Frakking Existential Toasters" shirt, right?
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Indy wrote:To set the record straight, you designed the "Frakking Existential Toasters" shirt, right?

Yep. I have a few other designs that never got to see the light of day because Zazzle cried copyright infringement and wouldn't print them. Sad

To be fair it wasn't my art but I also wasn't profiting off of it. Alas.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Pish-posh to that argument. Coded responses like that always irk me. They have to look out for themselves though, I suppose. I still like that shirt. And you mentioning the double reference involved with it makes it even better. I'll have to look out for Red Dwarf on DVD somewhere.

Okay, so I'm thinking it may be a bit more labor-intensive, but less expensive to use some sort of non-ferrous material for the general shape of the cubits, and then a gold-leaf finish or even high-quality paint to make the cubits. I still want to try to make a full set of metallic ones for us. IF there's a market for them, it may be more cost-effective to give the option of a base quality set of plastic cubits, or the "special" set of metal coins. I see a lot of place talking about silicone mold-casting and using resin, but I'd kinda like to hear the "clink" of a legit metal one, as well. At least there are options.

Paper currency's easier. I just need a couple color ink cartridges and maybe some high-quality paper that will crumple easily and not fall apart.
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Indy wrote:Pish-posh to that argument. Coded responses like that always irk me. They have to look out for themselves though, I suppose. I still like that shirt. And you mentioning the double reference involved with it makes it even better. I'll have to look out for Red Dwarf on DVD somewhere.

I'll upload some of my other designs when I'm back at HQ. Also, Red Dwarf is on NetFlix! All of 'em. You can also YouTube "Existential Toaster" - youtube . com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec

Paper currency's easier. I just need a couple color ink cartridges and maybe some high-quality paper that will crumple easily and not fall apart.

I like the idea of experimenting with different materials. I, too, like that authentic clink of metal. For the 'chips' I can see a resin working - poker chips are often heavy plastic anyway, non?

The paper money sound pretty awesome. The design could get fairly complex, though. Do you know of a template that already exists?
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm

KaraFrakkingThrace wrote:Do you know of a template that already exists?

Already found one. Cool It has 100-, 500-, and 1000-cubit bills. The problem is, the image is kinda small, and it might lose some quality being enlarged. Thatswhatshesaid.

I'll keep looking, just in case.
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm

This definitely sounds awesome! I have no actual art skills, but I do have good ideas and friends that have art skills, lol.

The paper money part shouldn't be too hard. QMx did the Firefly money. And when I googled BSG Cubits I got a lot of pictures! But it won't let me post the link, lol. So google BSG cubits and go to images....awesomeness.

This could definitely be fun!
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

OK, so I think I have this picture business figured out. Let's see. A couple of my designs.

The shirt -

Triad Chips! VCCxt

A mousepad design -

Triad Chips! TXBPi
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Airborne Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 pm

I love the shirt, but I'm going absolutely NUTS over that mousepad.

Yes please.
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Airborne wrote:I love the shirt, but I'm going absolutely NUTS over that mousepad.

Yes please.

Yep. Totally cockblocked by Zazzle. We need an artist in our little family! Time to recruit?
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum