Galactica Actual
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books! Reading is fun

4 posters

Go down

Books!  Reading is fun Empty Books! Reading is fun

Post by Airborne Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:27 pm

What is everybody reading right now? I'm working through:

Game of Thrones
The Legend of the Seeker books (re-read)
Princess of Mars (the John Carter books)
Ender series

and a few others. Anyone else a book-a-holic?
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Books!  Reading is fun Empty Re: Books! Reading is fun

Post by Indy Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:37 pm

I work in a bookstore. It's a tragic irony. So many books to read, so little time.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is one I recommend before anything, any time.

The Forever War is another good one. Joe Haldeman.

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

There was a $3 copy of the BSG trilogy of tie-in short stories at work. Haven't cracked them yet, so I can't vouch for their quality. Given the price, I'm not too confident.

Non-Fiction? Tackling Physics of the Impossible again.

How do you like Game of Thrones and the Ender series?

Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 pm

BOOOOOKS!!! Ahem....sorry.

Currently Reading (or just finished in the last month)

Sword of Truth series Terry Goodkind (just finished book 6, taking a break!)
Ender series - LOVE this series...read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Starting Ender in Exile
The Futurological Congress - Stanislaw Lem (just finished a reread, one of my favorite books I read in college...its really quick too, you should all check it out!)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (awesome book about the woman and family behind HeLa cells)
Hunger Games (read them all awhile back but love rereading them)
Weekends at Bellevue - quick read about a doctors account of working night shift at the psych ER. I loved it (hilarious!) but thats my medical side, lol
Mountains Beyond Mountains - another doctor book, this guy spent a lot of time trying to treat TB in Haiti....very inspiring, makes me feel like I don't do enough! And makes me want to go back to Haiti or Africa.

Other Favorites

The Stand - Stephen King
Harry Potter series
Everworld series (starting reading this series when I was 8! It's definitely a youth series but I'll always love it)
Anything true crime/forensics is always fun. Deadhouse is great about the coroners office in Pittsburgh
LOTR

On My List

Wheel of Time series
Game of Thrones series
World War Z
100 Years of Solitude
Finishing all of Shakespeare's work
So many more I can't list them all....
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Indy wrote:The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is one I recommend before anything, any time.

Peter is that the one your brother was talking about?? If so, that is two awesome reviews so I'll be adding it to my list! I need 3 months off to just read books! I actually did the most reading when I was in New Zealand....everyone read on the bus between cities and each hostel had a book exchange...which reminds me....The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk...excellent book!
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Airborne Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:06 pm

^^ That IS the one he was talking about! Kyle, thanks for seconding the recommendation! I just picked it up.

So many books. I'll never finish. I love having this "problem" Smile

Quartermaster, you are lucky that you can read on the bus! I get motion sickness, so my reading is restricted to non-mobile settings LOL.
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 pm

I've kind of stalled out on a few different books I was reading all at once (Friday and Starship Troopers by Heinlein, a book someone lent me - SciFi a la 1940's, and some other brain candy books).

It's been a busy time, but I need to pick one of these and finish the damn thing.

Anyhow, I do have plenty of recommendations when it comes to my favorites -

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (also The Cat Who Walked Through Walls)

Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (and/or The Stupidist Angel and/or Blood Sucking Fiends)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Lightning by Dean Koontz (Also the Odd Thomas series and the Christopher Snow series)

The Giver, Gathering Blue and The Messenger by Lois Lowry

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (also Reaper Man)

There's more but I'd have to look at the top shelf of my bookshelf, where all my favorites are. Smile
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Also I love Ender's Game! I haven't read the sequels because I love Ender's Game so much and I'm afraid of it being tainted.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Airborne Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Good Omens is sitting on my desk right now, waiting for me to pick it up! I love Neil Gaiman, but I haven't read much Pratchett, yet.
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Airborne wrote:Good Omens is sitting on my desk right now, waiting for me to pick it up! I love Neil Gaiman, but I haven't read much Pratchett, yet.

You're in for a real treat!! You'll have to let me know what you think. It is one of my very favorite books. In fact, I may re-read it now that it's on my mind.

Terry Pratchett is amazing. He's got a whole slew of books of you decide you like him and need reading material.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Peter - I'll definitely be picking The Name of the Wind as well too. Let me know when you get to it! Aw that sucks you get motion sickness when reading. There are two things in life I can do just about anywhere....read and sleep, lol. It's a gift, lol.

Eve - I will have to give Good Omens a try again! I bought it awhile ago and I started it in the midst of moving to my house and reading like 4 other books so I just couldn't keep my attention on it at the time. It's still on my shelf. Maybe I'll try again after finished Ender in Exile. Love Neil Gaiman but haven't read a lot of Pratchett.
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 pm

I've written Good Omens fic. I mean, that's a serious benchmark in my book. Wink
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Airborne Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Quartermaster wrote:Peter - I'll definitely be picking The Name of the Wind as well too. Let me know when you get to it! Aw that sucks you get motion sickness when reading. There are two things in life I can do just about anywhere....read and sleep, lol. It's a gift, lol.

I'll definitely let you know! I'll text you once I begin. Going to finish the 3rd Game of Thrones book in the next week, so I'll probably be starting Name of the Wind in two weeks, as well as reading it overnight during my road trip.

You are doubly blessed! But, can you read while sleeping? Wink While I may not be able to read anywhere, sleeping anywhere is definitely my gift as well. I once road marched 16 miles while asleep, waking up every few steps to correct my path. It was awesome and made a LONG night go by a lot faster LOL

Eve: Good Omens fic, eh? Links must be provided! Smile I'll give you my full review once I finish the book! Have you read the Discworld books? I want to get into those as well.
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Airborne wrote:Eve: Good Omens fic, eh? Links must be provided! Smile I'll give you my full review once I finish the book! Have you read the Discworld books? I want to get into those as well.

Consider fic links incentive to finish the book. Wink Out of context it won't be as good, so do you homework and then we'll talk. Very Happy

Monstrous Regiment and Reaper Man are both Pratchett books set in the Discworld series. I have by no means read every Discworld book, but the ones I have I've always loved!

I have a bunch of books in digital audio format - including Stranger in a Strange Land, Ender's Game, the Thirteenth Tale and The Stupidist Angel. We should get our Dropbox on so I can share the love with you guys. Smile
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Airborne Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Homework, eh? lol Sounds like we have a deal!

Good to hear about the Discworld books! I've heard nothing but good things, but there are so many books in the series!

Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum