Galactica Actual
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolution!

4 posters

Go down

Revolution! Empty Revolution!

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Go.

It occurs to me today that the calm, collected badass black guy reminds me a lot of the scary Nazi guy from Inglorious Bastards. I like his character a little too much for him being the immediate bad guy.

How much do I love the Roman style tent camps?? They even made the inside of the General's tent look all Roman and traditional.

Got to love the antiquated computer running on DOS. Do you think they have to enter a series of numbers every 12 hours or the island blows up?

Loved the imagery in the beginning of the planes going down. The first one is really subtle, then you get the full, lateral tailspin and ka-BOOM. Crazy.

The little girl eating all the ice cream was a great touch, too. I love the little things in shows like this.

End of line.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Revolution! Empty Re: Revolution!

Post by Indy Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

The subtle nuances of the story are what is going to carry it. There's too much focus and charm in Gritty Obama's character to hate him. I wouldn't go so far as to say there's an ulterior motive to his character, but I think there's more going on than a single episode can really let on. Or he could just be the Darth Vader of the story, bringing the hammer down on everyone who gets in the way.

Spoiler:

Oh, and the bearded guy who's with the "main" party? I had to do a double-take. There's a guy named Todd around here who matches everything down to the mannerisms and body language of this guy. Told him he had to watch now, because his twin's on the show.

It's going to be pretty frakking good, I'd say. But, of course, it's J.J. Abrams and Jon Favreau. They're pretty reliable.
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:42 am

Love this premise! Can't wait to see where they go with it! I just need more Elizabeth Mitchell though. Maybe she's not really dead! lol

Yeah and I loved seeing Charlie eating the ice cream as a kid. The little moments are often the most poignant.
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Airborne Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

I just saw the trailer (late, I know!) and the show looks awesome. A few other friends on FB have been raving about it. I guess another show is added to the list of must see shows LOL
Airborne
Airborne
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 pm

So I wasn't as excited about the second eppy. Still going to give it a chance though. We'll see what the next ep brings.
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I think after the second episode, I am now watching for the following reasons:

1) I think Elizabeth Mitchel is awesome (also the one with the balls in the family).

2) I really want to know how they're going to explain all this.
- Which is really the crux of JJ Abrams' entire strategy when it comes to TV shows.
- I want to know why friction-based ignition engines don't work, for instance. Like, you know, lawn mowers should totally be able to work. Not that you'd care to have lawn mower at this point but small engines should be doable.

3) I like the undertones - drugs not being a big deal but guns being illegal. The street corner preacher-man extolling the evils of technology or at least the reliance on it, etc.

Reasons I might stop watching;

1) The characters are either flat or over the top.
- When Miles tries to be Sawyer by calling the former Google Exec "Chuckles" I kind of wanted to turn the channel on principle.
- I can't believe Miles is that badass. I'm sorry. No one sword fights like that and lives. Sword fighting is more about trickery and stabbing someone when they're off their guard than smacking blades together.

2) OMG STOP OVER EXPLAINING EVERYTHING
- You don't have to remind us that the power went out 15 years ago. We know. That's why we're watching. Also you don't have to use a sledge hammer to allude to the fact it might be man made. I know you're on a major network and all, but not all of us are dumb asses.

3) Charlie. I'm thisclose to hating your character. Stop looking like you haven't had a bowel movement in weeks, please. Kthx.

That about covers it... Wink
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm so torn on this show. There's so much that makes me roll my eyes, then there are scenes that are genuinely awesome.

Stop toying with me! Either totally suck or be totally awesome! You can't have both!
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:27 am

Yeah I'm torn as well. I want to love it for JJ but I'm just not convinced yet. Still willing to hang in there for a bit!
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Okay, so major frakkin' spoilers here. If you haven't watched the last episode, read at your own risk.

Whattheeverlockingfuck?! I'm sorry, but you can't FINALLY make a character likable and then kill her. That's not okay. You can do that in episode one. You can do that if there are other likable characters. But that is not the case here. I was just starting to like British-chick-who-I-just-learned-name-is-Maggie.

Arghahrdhs.

Also, torture scene with Rachel is ineffective if she seems to be completely unscathed later. I can understand the 'psychological' torture, but even that dialog is stiff and unbelievable. Which is really surprising because that actress is REALLY GOOD.

Oh, and when you kill someone from blood loss, can you please make them deathly pale when they go? This would make me feel better. Kthx.

This show has so much potential. Everyone is just acting like cardboard until they die. So that's the secret guys - when someone's acting gets good, they're about to die.

I do want to know what the heck is up with Miles blackmailing Rachel into turning herself in.

I'm still having a hard time believing there's a 15 year gap between the blackout and now. Everyone's still acting like it was last year. Needed time for them kids to grow up, I guess.

I want to strangle Danny myself. Smile

Okay, I think that's enough ranting. Still watching, so they've got me there.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm

The show's turned a corner with me after that episode.

Spoiler:

I was thinking the same thing about the time lapse. Maybe that was a little too far of a jump. I see it for the story, maybe, giving enough time for past experiences to set in or whatever. Still, aside from the kids, nobody's done any noticeable aging, either. Fifteen years of constant fear of raiding parties, militia attacks, and having to worry about The Elements again is going to put a few wrinkles and gray hairs on you. Are Botox and Just For Men still available?

The girl who played Slightly Younger Charlie really looked like her older incarnation. I wonder if that was actually a younger sister or something.

Spoiler:

I'm on board now, though. Now that they've been green-lit, maybe they'll bring someone in to make the dialogue less wooden and brow-beating in nature. We shall see.
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Ok see I liked Maggie for about 3 minutes before they killed her so it didn't have the emotional impact that I think they were going for. Plus with her severed artery she would have been dead in mere minutes and she would have been deathly pale and clammy, instead of rosy cheeked and alive for quite awhile after the stabbing.......so yeah none of that really resonated with me, lol. I can suspend disbelief on no one aging and everyone having Hair for Men (haha)....I mean remember LOST? But the medical stuff....noooo.

Can this show just focus on Elizabeth Mitchell for awhile? Because she is the best part of it so far, lol. Lets see more of her and Miles and develop THAT whole spiel. I'm still sticking with it for a bit, but its rapidly losing it's appeal. I just keep reminding myself that the first season of Buffy was ridiculous and waaay to campy but after that it was amazing.
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraFrakkingThrace Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Kyle, I see what you're saying about what we plan to do with Skye/Skylar, but I think we have a better, more eloquent plan overall. Wink I really liked her story that they only chose to exploit right before her death, which I think is just cheap and dirty. Skye/Skylar is going to be set up from the start to be likable and seem like a main character. Also, her death with be medically accurate because we have frakkin' expert on our team. Wink

Kiersten - yea, I thought something was off about the way she ultimately died. First, it took her way too long to decide she needed to be stitched up (she's supposed to be a doctor or something? I don't recall that being worked into her brief backstory). I have zero medical expertise but even I was like, "Yep, you're dead. How are you not dead yet?"

I also want this storyline to focus on Rachel. There's such weirdness going on about her character and anything she's in doesn't get any more than 5 minutes time. It's beginning to get frustrating.

I'm hoping Kyle is right - now that they've been officially picked up, maybe they'll get their shit together but it usually goes the other way around. Caprica was great in the beginning, crap in the middle and great at the end again when they found out they'd been canceled. Still, fingers crossed! I want this to be good. I'm going to try and bend the universe to my will on this one.
KaraFrakkingThrace
KaraFrakkingThrace
Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Maggie seems to have wound up being a living, breathing plot device with a shoehorned back-story. When they ran out of uses for her, she was done...slowly and anticlimactically, but done. Skye is going to be much more integral to the narrative before being offed. If nothing else, we now have something to compare our murderous intent to, so we can be sure it has a better impact and is more believable. Sounds like Kiersten's the go-to candidate for the "believable death" scenes. Overall, I think the biggest drawback to this show so far is the sub-standard writing and blocky plot development.

There's an article in Sci-Fi magazine where Billy Burke has a few quotes, as does Kripke. No spoilers, promise, but Burke seems excited on how things are going to progress with the overall story. Now, that could be just a cheap PR move, or he's telling the truth. Either way, we now have an entire season to scrutinize and glean from.

Then again, it is Sci-Fi Magazine. In the same issue, I saw a "thr" instead of a "the" (whip-crack editors there), and they called Firefly fans "Brownshirts". Because mistaking a loyal group of sci-fi nerds for a Nazi paramilitary wing is easy to do. Derp.

I get the feeling there's going to be some serious funnel effect happening with all of this soon. I guess maybe they just had the first six episodes/half-season shot, and are going back to shooting now that they've gotten the green light? If so, there's only two more hours to start piecing this together and making something of it. Hell, Danny's been getting dragged around for what seems to be ages now, and the threats from Monroe are there for Rachel. Get that ball rolling already, please. Miles McNinja doesn't have the Han Solo charm to keep carrying things.

Anyway, we'll see. I still plan on watching, if for no other reason than it gives me a perfectly reasonable excuse to avoid working Monday nights. Ha!
Indy
Indy
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Quartermaster Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Well it seems like Charlie is going to be less whiny now so that is a plus! Yeah I hope they progress the story more quickly now. 12 of the ugly power pendants, huh? That should be fun.

And yeah with Skylar my thought was that we'd be keeping her around for more than just a few episodes...maybe even the whole first season, before we kill her. That is plenty of time to build up her character, use her effectively, let the audience love her, and then devastate them by killing her. (that makes me sound evil but I swear I'm not)
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum